Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Honey Chicken Kabobs

This is such an easy meal that has become one of Casey's favorites for me to make, which is fine by me. We have a simple division of chores in our house. I love to cook and I cook every night and Casey cleans up the kitchen. I get out rather easy on nights that we have frozen pizza or simple kabobs.


I pulled this recipe from Allrecipes when I was searching for a marinade that I could make with a limited amount of ingredients on hand. It involves soy sauce, vegetable oil, and honey which I usually always have. I keep an economy sized jar of soy sauce on hand and my brother-in-law makes his own honey which we usually have (but now we're out of, by the way Keith). The ingredient measurements will look weird, because the original serving was 12 and I cut it in half. I used a green bell pepper instead of a red, but use whatever pepper you have on hand! I also threaded all of my onions on one skewer, chicken on another, etc. so that if the vegetables needed to cook longer they were all on the same skewer. Also, remember to soak your skewers in water before you thread them so that they won't burn.



(Source: Allrecipes.com)
Servings: 6

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons honey
2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons soy sauce
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 clove garlic
2 small onions, cut into 2 inch pieces
1 red bell pepper, cut into 2 inch pieces
skewers

In a large bowl, whisk together oil, honey, soy sauce, and pepper. Before adding chicken, reserve a small amount of marinade to brush onto kabobs while cooking. Place the chicken, garlic, onions and peppers in the bowl, and marinate in the refrigerator at least 2 hours (the longer the better). Preheat the grill for high heat. Drain marinade from the chicken and vegetables, and discard marinade. Thread chicken and vegetables alternately onto the skewers. Lightly oil the grill grate. Place the skewers on the grill. Cook for 12 to 15 minutes, until chicken juices run clear. Turn and brush with reserved marinade frequently.


0 comments: