Wednesday, September 24, 2008

He learns (kind of)

This is the progress of my daily training sessions with Tuck. It might not seem like a lot, but getting a 5 month old puppy to stay is big stuff to me. Just watch out Greatest American Dog, once we get these tricks laid out we're moving on to the big stuff. I taught him these few things on my own but I'm reading Victoria Stilwell's (Greatest American Dog judge) book right now so hopefully I can learn to teach him some more things.

A couple of things:

1. Excuse my misshapen claw in the beginning. I have treats in my hand and my dog is not smart enough to work for something else besides food right now. We're working on it.

2. Excuse the high pitched voice that I talk in. It's training talk and he likes it.

3. He has way more interest in the treats then paying attention to me, but we're working on that too.

4. The way to teach your dog to lay down is to drag a treat across the ground which forces your dog to lay down to get to it. This doesn't apply to dog's who have 2 inch legs and can just lower their head to get to the treat. Where's the training for the stumpy dogs, Vickie?!?

0 comments: