Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Puppy Chow

...or trash, reindeer poop, muddy buddies, whatever else you would like to call it =) I've been doing a lot of baking lately and I need to clean off of my camera so tonight seemed like a good night to post some recipes! Casey and I both had today off (and the rest of the week) so we've really just spent the day relaxing and enjoying a day of doing nothing before we have to pack up and travel tomorrow to see some family for Christmas. I think it will feel much more like Christmas once we actually are in our hometown, but I think it's important that we make it feel like Christmas at our own place too. We opened our stockings today and we exchanged one present (I got a wusthof knife sharpener, woot!) and have been watching Christmas movies all day. It's been a good day and it would be a good tradition for us to have the day before Christmas Eve as 'our' day to hang out and enjoy some time together. Plus, it's our first married Christmas so that makes this year kind of special. Now that I'm done rambling and saying the word Christmas 500 times, I'll post the recipe.

I got this recipe from the Chex website.

(Source: Chex)
Servings: 18 half a cup portions

9 cups of Chex cereal (I used Rice Chex and I would actually cut back on this amount for future references so that the cereal can be coated better. I would think that 7 cups would be sufficient)
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup margarine or butter (I used butter)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar

Into large bowl, measure cereal; set aside.

In 1-quart microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter uncovered on High 1 minute; stir. Microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth. I chose to melt this on low in a saucepan just b/c I try to avoid the microwave at all costs, but I'm sure that way is quicker. Stir in vanilla. Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated. Pour into 2-gallon resealable food-storage plastic bag.

Add powdered sugar. Seal bag; shake until well coated. Spread on waxed paper to cool. Store in airtight container in refrigerator.


0 comments: